This is the HELP page for uploading photos to the website.
There are two types of uploads available:
- Theme of the Month
- Photographer of the Month (POM)
The following steps explain how to upload your photos.
- Login to the website using your Sonora Photo Club username & password using the “member login” link in the menu bar. Once you’ve successfully logged in, you’ll notice the “member login” menu link has changed to “Hello, yourname”. For example, for me, it says, “Hello, Bill”.
- When you’re logged in, hovering (or tapping on a mobile device or tablet) on the “Hello yourname” link displays a sub-menu of functions only available to club members. Feel free to explore these.
- To upload photos, select either Upload Monthly Theme Photos or Upload POM Photos as appropriate. This will take you to an upload page for that type of photo.
- One you’re at the upload page, make sure you’re at the appropriate page (Upload Monthly Theme or Upload POM, depending on what you are uploading. If you selected the wrong option, return to Step 2 above.
- Select the photos you want to upload. You can select up to 3 for the monthly theme, or up to 7 for POM. Once you’ve selected your photos, you’ll see thumbnails in the upload form. If you want to change your selection, use the Clear button to remove the selection, and select another.
- Start the upload by clicking Submit at the bottom of the page; wait for the upload process to finish.
- Once the upload has finished, if you scroll up, you’ll see a message that says, “currently on the server for yourname”, and a display of the photos you uploaded. If you change your mind about what you uploaded, you can use the “Add, Change, or Delete” button at the bottom to make changes. You can remove previously uploaded (delete), and replace it with a new one, or you can add more if you didn’t already select the maximum number of photos.
Notes about the photo upload process:
- Once you’ve uploaded the photos, they are on the server, but not displayed on the site. The webmaster will move the photos to the web gallery for display. A couple points about this:
- I’ll check for Monthly Theme photos during the morning of the monthly meeting. Any photos there (say 8am, as a line in the sand) will be set up for viewing on the website for that month’s meeting. Your photos need to be there by then to be available for that day’s display.
- POM photos can be uploaded whenever the current POM is ready to display them. The webmaster won’t be notified of the upload, so please send an email to email@example.com when you’re done. In that email, just let me know you’ve uploaded the photos, and include some text with your bio to be displayed on the POM page. If you don’t include a bio, none will be displayed, and only your photos will be on the page.
About the number of images that can be uploaded
- Monthly Theme: you can upload between 1 and 3 images for display in the monthly theme.
- POM: you can upload up to 7 images. The POM page has space for 6 photos in a grid, which can then be clicked to view images in sequence, or via a slide show. There is also space for a “featured image” on the page. This means from 1-6 images must be uploaded for the main POM display. If a 7th image is present, I’ll use that as the featured image. The featured image is optional.
About image sizes
We said at the beginning of the new website process that we wouldn’t restrict image sizes. However, as a practical consideration, as the only purpose of the uploads is to display on the website and on the library projector, we should size our images to optimize website page load speed. Uploading full size images straight from the camera, say 20, 30, 40MB or more, won’t be of any benefit when viewed this way (they’re useful for printing). This also really slows down the viewing process, such that people on slower Internet connections will not have a pleasant experience.
Here are some guidelines and restrictions. They are somewhat arbitrary, so we can adjust as needed in the future.
- Suggested file size: less than 1MB. The website is set to accept up to 2MB to give everyone some flexibility.
- Suggested image dimensions 1920 x 1080 The library projector resolution & a common computer screen resolution is 1920×1080. The website is set to accept up to a maximum of 2000 x 1200. The exact size is not important, so please feel free to size your images according to how you want them to look within these specs.
- Minimum image size: at least 1024px on the long side . Images smaller than this will look tiny on the library display and on many computer screens.
Still Have Questions?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions, and screenshots of any error messages or other issues you encounter.