Meeting Minutes 2017-11-19

These are the meeting minutes for the November 19, 2017 Sonora Photo Club meeting.

Photo Display

The “Shadow” theme photos were displayed from the website.  No printed photos were offered for display.  The display went well and the feeling was that this was a better option than using Flickr.

Financial Report

Although not at the meeting, Laurie did provide the information that the balance and number of members remained the same as last month.  Laurie will collect dues for 2018 at the Christmas party and in January.

Business

Zack presented the findings of the survey that he sent out on several issues.  He will make the survey results available to all but here are some decisions that were made at the meeting.

Christmas Party

Although only 11 of the 20 people responded yes to the party, some at the meeting indicated that they would attend if we had one.  Also, we would potentially have spouses attending, too.  We agreed that we will have the party.

WHEN: December 17 from 1:00 to 4:00

WHERE: The library meeting room

WHAT TO BRING: Given the smaller number of attendees, bring finger food – appetizers or desserts, drinks.

ALSO: Zack will create a slideshow to run during the party.  Upload your photos here to be included.  If you have more than 20, give them to him on a flash drive.

Education

We need people to volunteer to instruct in some the various topics.

Photo Contest

Many good ideas were offered for the next contest.  There was a huge list of possible categories.  Zack will send out another survey asking members to select the 3 or 4 that they prefer to help the committee narrow down some ideas.  

Club Roles for 2018

Zack also presented a list of positions that were open or already had a volunteer and asked people to fill in the spots that were empty.  The full list is:

  • President – Zack with Noel and Joel as backups when he can’t be there
  • Vice President – Bill Heiser
  • Secretary – Pat Jennings
  • Treasurer – Laurie Lehmann
  • Facilities Coordinator – Pat Jennings
  • Webmaster – Bill Heiser
  • Education – Steve Brooks
  • New Member Mentor – Zack
  • Display Coordinator – Noel with Zack’s assistance
Slideshow Presentations

Dan Childres, Bill Heiser and Joel Silverman presented their excellent slideshows.  

Zack offered the possibility of putting our slideshows on the web.  We discussed some of the issues including licensing for music, hosting the slideshows, bandwidth.  After discussion, it seemed most easily managed if we strip the music from the slideshow and select a host like YouTube or Vimeo.  The website would then have a link to those hosted videos.  To be discussed further.

We offered open positions for slideshows in 2018.  The following people have signed up:

MAY: Kathy Syverson, Laurie Lehmann, David Goldemberg and Nancy Conti

AUGUST: Dan Ryan, Art and Noel Ortiz – 1 space open

NOVEMBER: Jan Alcalde and Zack Levey – 2 open positions

Hints and Tips

Pat Jennings offered two videos on shooting snow and also handed out some Winter Photography Tips.

Zack offered to present a 45 minute video at some future meeting on critiquing a photo.  This has been requested and if there are people who are interested, it would be done in the 12:00 hour before the regular meeting.

Member Input/Q&A

A member asked how the judges felt about the judging, the categories, etc.  Following several comments from members, we agreed that we need to get the contest committee formed now so they can begin planning early as several feedback ideas suggested.  The committee includes:

  • Noel Ortiz
  • David Goldemberg
  • Jim Brown
  • Pat Jennings – will think about it
  • Nancy Conti – will think about it
Photo Opportunities
  • There is a Celebrate Yosemite & the Sierras competition with a deadline in a week.  See the email that Joel Silverman just sent out.
  • Railtown’s Polar Express begins the Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving.  It will also run Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for the first three weekends in December.  The train runs at 4:30, 6:00 and 7:30.
  • The InFocus Show will be accepting entries via Smarter Entry from November 30 through January 22.  See the website www.infocus-tcaa.org for details.
  • The Murphys parade and Art on Main is on Dec. 5.
  • The Sonora Christmas Parade is Friday, November 25.
Next Meeting

Date: January 21, 2018

Presentation: Laurie will do a Lightroom Workflow demo and Kathy Syverson will moderate a discussion of how to improve photos based on the contest judges comments.  Bring your photos and the judges’ scoring sheets if you wish to have your photos included in the discussion.

Photo Theme: Still Life

Refreshments:  Nancy Conti