Meeting Minutes 2018-04-15

Photo Display

Our monthly theme was “Pattern.” Photos were shown and discussed. To see photos from our monthly photo theme, please check them out on our Theme of the Month page.

Financial Report

Laurie Lehmann reported that our total membership is now at 42 and our current balance is $1134.44, pending 2 new members’ dues.



Railtown Show Update

Kathy Syverson gave a report out on the upcoming show at Railtown. The highlights are:


  • The photo club will be able to hang a total of 40 images (7 per photographer)
  • Photos can be submitted to Dan Ryan until Friday, April 25.
  • Dan will meet with Railtown Foundation on April 26.
  • Participants should bring accepted framed photos to Carriage Room at Railtown on Friday, May 25 between 9:30 and 10:00.
  • Volunteers needed to help hang photos.
  • Photos will be taken down after Labor Day.
  • Framed items that are sold should be replaced with a like image.
  • 20% commission to be taken by Railtown Foundation.


Refreshment Reimbursement


Bill Heiser had an agenda item around the refreshment reimbursement that was brought up in the January meeting. It was proposed and approved that refreshment reimbursement was not necessary.

Summer Meetings


Zack Levey discussed the upcoming summer meetings. Due to the lower attendance at July meetings, it was proposed and approved that the club would have a photo shoot at a location to be determined.  Zack will send out a survey to gather ideas for the location. The club will vote at the May meeting. Additional input is also desired for the June and August meetings.


Photographer of the Month for Upcoming Months


  • June: Cheryl Calderero
  • July: Laurie Lehmann
  • August: Kathy Syverson
  • September: Pat Jennings
  • October: Linda Hogue
  • November: Bill Heiser
  • December: Zack Levy
  • Photos can be uploaded at any time.


Club Competition Reminder


The club competition will be held at the October 21st meeting and all current club members are invited to participate! The competition committee members are: Noel Ortiz, David Goldemberg, Jim Brown and Nancy Conti. The topics as chosen on by the club are Landscape, Macro, Abstract and, Tuolumne County.

The competition committee has 2 action items for the May meeting.

  1. They need to decide on a committee chairperson.
  2. The first status update on organizing the competition. Status updates should start as early as the May Meeting.
Photos for Critique

Kathy Syverson led a discussion of printed images supplied by Zack Levey, Bill Heiser and Sue Muston.

Sky Replacement – Kathy Syverson

Kathy gave a demonstration of three methods of sky replacement using On1 and Lightroom: Normal adjustments; sky replacement and sky overlay. She also had a handout describing the techniques used.

Portrait Photography Overview – Zack Levey

Zack brought equipment (light umbrella, portable backdrop, reflector) and gave a presentation on the basics of portrait photography.  We watched a video by portrait photographer Joe Edelman. You can watch that video on Youtube at the following link:

Hints and Tips

Hints and Tips mostly came out of the presentations. There was a discussion on lighting: positioning, metering. Some recommendations were.

Joe McNally has many books and provides lots of info. More information is available at his website.

Scott Kelby: The Flash Book (you can find it on Amazon and elsewhere).

Member Input / Q&A


Photo Opportunities
  • Mother Lode Roundup
  • Fireman’s Muster
  • Dogwoods in Yosemite
  • Frog Jump
  • Rush Creek Yosemite First Contest
Next Meeting

May 20, 2018

Theme: Breaking Patterns

Presentation:  Connie Cassinetto said that she would show one of the prepared lectures she does for Nikonian.

Slide Shows: Kathy Syverson, Laurie Lehmann, David Goldemberg and Nancy Conti



Refreshments: Darrin Young will bring to May meeting.

Bill Heiser

Author: Bill Heiser

Photographer and outdoors enthusiast. See more at