Meeting Minutes 2018-04-15

Photo Display

Our monthly theme was “Pattern.” Photos were shown and discussed. To see photos from our monthly photo theme, please check them out on our Theme of the Month page.

Financial Report

Laurie Lehmann reported that our total membership is now at 42 and our current balance is $1134.44, pending 2 new members’ dues.

Business

 

Railtown Show Update

Kathy Syverson gave a report out on the upcoming show at Railtown. The highlights are:

 

  • The photo club will be able to hang a total of 40 images (7 per photographer)
  • Photos can be submitted to Dan Ryan until Friday, April 25.
  • Dan will meet with Railtown Foundation on April 26.
  • Participants should bring accepted framed photos to Carriage Room at Railtown on Friday, May 25 between 9:30 and 10:00.
  • Volunteers needed to help hang photos.
  • Photos will be taken down after Labor Day.
  • Framed items that are sold should be replaced with a like image.
  • 20% commission to be taken by Railtown Foundation.

 

Refreshment Reimbursement

 

Bill Heiser had an agenda item around the refreshment reimbursement that was brought up in the January meeting. It was proposed and approved that refreshment reimbursement was not necessary.

 
Summer Meetings

 

Zack Levey discussed the upcoming summer meetings. Due to the lower attendance at July meetings, it was proposed and approved that the club would have a photo shoot at a location to be determined.  Zack will send out a survey to gather ideas for the location. The club will vote at the May meeting. Additional input is also desired for the June and August meetings.

 

Photographer of the Month for Upcoming Months

 

  • June: Cheryl Calderero
  • July: Laurie Lehmann
  • August: Kathy Syverson
  • September: Pat Jennings
  • October: Linda Hogue
  • November: Bill Heiser
  • December: Zack Levy
  • Photos can be uploaded at any time.

 

Club Competition Reminder

 

The club competition will be held at the October 21st meeting and all current club members are invited to participate! The competition committee members are: Noel Ortiz, David Goldemberg, Jim Brown and Nancy Conti. The topics as chosen on by the club are Landscape, Macro, Abstract and, Tuolumne County.

The competition committee has 2 action items for the May meeting.

  1. They need to decide on a committee chairperson.
  2. The first status update on organizing the competition. Status updates should start as early as the May Meeting.
Photos for Critique

Kathy Syverson led a discussion of printed images supplied by Zack Levey, Bill Heiser and Sue Muston.

Presentations
Sky Replacement – Kathy Syverson

Kathy gave a demonstration of three methods of sky replacement using On1 and Lightroom: Normal adjustments; sky replacement and sky overlay. She also had a handout describing the techniques used.

Portrait Photography Overview – Zack Levey

Zack brought equipment (light umbrella, portable backdrop, reflector) and gave a presentation on the basics of portrait photography.  We watched a video by portrait photographer Joe Edelman. You can watch that video on Youtube at the following link: https://youtu.be/y8CfFtPUbsI.

Hints and Tips

Hints and Tips mostly came out of the presentations. There was a discussion on lighting: positioning, metering. Some recommendations were.

Joe McNally has many books and provides lots of info. More information is available at his website. http://blog.joemcnally.com/

Scott Kelby: The Flash Book (you can find it on Amazon and elsewhere).

Member Input / Q&A

None

Photo Opportunities
  • Mother Lode Roundup
  • Fireman’s Muster
  • Dogwoods in Yosemite
  • Frog Jump
  • Rush Creek Yosemite First Contest
Next Meeting

May 20, 2018

Theme: Breaking Patterns

Presentation:  Connie Cassinetto said that she would show one of the prepared lectures she does for Nikonian.

Slide Shows: Kathy Syverson, Laurie Lehmann, David Goldemberg and Nancy Conti

 

 

Refreshments: Darrin Young will bring to May meeting.

Meeting Minutes 2018-03-18

Financial Report

Zack Levey provided Laurie’s update as she was out of town. Our total membership is currently 40, with a club balance of $1149.44.

Photos for Critique

Kathy Syverson led a discussion of printed images supplied by Dan Ryan and Darrin Young. Zack Levey, Sue Muston and Bill Heiser volunteered to bring prints for review at April’s club meeting.

Photo Display

Cold/ice/snow photos were shown and discussed. Those photos can be found here.

Presentations by Cheryl Calderero, Zack Levey, and Dale Bass

Cheryl showed the club how she approaches creativity in taking and processing her photographs.  Some techniques she uses are: Photoshop “Twirl” and “Sphere”, ipiccy.com collage, mid day shooting taking advantage of bokeh,  collage on book, collage using old black and white photos and photographing through oil drops in water.

Zack had a brief presentation and then showed a video explaining depth of field and Hyperfocal distance.

Dale shared a video from https://mattk.com/ on using advanced brushes in Photoshop and Lightroom. You can find it on Youtube as well at the following link: https://youtu.be/vIZIsNtnWho.

Business

Zack reminded the photo contest committee that it was only 6 months until the club photo contest.

We had 2 guests at our meeting – guests are always welcome!

Hints and Tips

None  

Member Input / Q&A

None

Photo Opportunities

LaGrange Rodeo, March 24

Railtown opening weekend April 7-8.  Wildflower trains run April 21, 22, 28 and 29.

Next Meeting

April 15, 2018: Theme is Patterns.  May theme is Breaking Patterns

Presentation

Connie Cassinetto said that if she was in town for the May meeting, she would show one of the prepared lectures she does for Niconian.

Refreshments

Darrin Young will bring to April meeting.

Meeting Minutes 2018-02-18

Photo Display

The “Sunrise/Sunset” theme photos were displayed from the website.  No printed photos were offered for display.

Financial Report

Laurie Lehmann provided updated information for the club. One new member has joined, and our membership is at 34 members for the year. Our current balance is $1,169.44. It was approved that $15/month would be directed from the treasury to defray the cost of monthly refreshments if asked for by the refreshments volunteer.

Business
Railtown Summer Display – Kathy Syverson

The summer display in the Carriage Room at Railtown runs from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Weekend and is a benefit for the Railtown Foundation.  Kathy explained the procedure for image selection and that payout for images sold is not until after the show closes in September. Images sold must be replaced with the same image as soon as possible.  Eight club members expressed an interest in participating: Dan Ryan, Jim Brown, Steve Brooks, Linda Hogue, Pat Jennings, Jacob Lewis, Cathy Sponseller and Kathy Syverson.

InFocus 2018

Kathy Syverson gave some updated information on the 2018 InFocus Photography Competition.

    • Jurying is complete for the 2018 show and 191 images were selected.
    • Several new panels and new lighting fixtures have been added.
    • The opening reception and awards ceremony is on March 4th from 5 – 7 p.m.
    • The show runs from March 5th thru March 18th and will be open daily from 12 – 5:30 p.m.  The final day, March 18th will close at 3:00 p.m. and photos can be picked up from 3 – 5:30 p.m.
    • The cost to join the Arts Alliance is $45 and must be paid prior to the reception if the artist does not want to pay a 20% commission on work sold. Membership can be purchased from the “STORE” at the TCAA web site.
    • The InFocus show benefits the Tuolumne County Arts Alliance.
    • The Artists bios will provide contact information.

 

 

Presentations

Laurie showed the club 6 videos explaining what photo distortion is and how to correct it by using either Photoshop or Lightroom. She felt that this correction should be the first step in photo adjustment. Zack will post the videos on the club website.

Kathy Syverson led a discussion of printed images supplied by Dan Ryan, Laurie Lehmann, Bill Heiser, Jan Alcalde and Cathy Sponseller.  It was agreed that the discussion of printed images is valuable and should continue.

Hints and Tips

None

Member Input/Q&A

None

Photo Opportunities

None

Next Meeting

Date: March 18, 2018

Presentation: Zack will give some information on Depth of Field and Hyperfocal Distance. We’ll also watch a video that Dale found on Advance Brush settings in Lightroom and Photoshop

Photo Theme: Snow/Frost/Ice/Cold

Refreshments:  Cheryl Calderaro

Meeting Minutes 2018-01-21

Photo Display

The “Still Life” theme photos were displayed from the website.  No printed photos were offered for display.

Financial Report

Laurie Lehmann provided updated information for the club. 24 paid members, and $939+ in the club account. Dues are due by 1/31/2018.

Business

Zack presented the findings of the next survey that he sent out on several issues.

  • 2018 topics for competition: Landscape, Macro, Abstract, Tuolumne County
  • 2018 education ideas: Guest Professionals, Indoor Setup, Blending Modes; Photoshop Basics, Sharpening, Advanced Photoshop and Photo Stacking.
  • 2018 cameras used: Nikon (ILC and point and shoot), Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Smartphone.
  • 2018 software used: Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Lightroom, Others

For a more detailed breakdown, please contact Zack.

InFocus 2018

Kathy Syverson discussed the 2018 InFocus Photography Competition that closes to entries on Monday, January 22 at 6:00 p.m. Selected photos can be submitted on Friday, March 2, 2018 from noon to 5 p.m. and on Saturday, March 3 2018 from 9 a.m. to noon.

Laurie Lehmann, Dan Ryan, Jerry Woodward and Pat Jennings volunteered to help Kathy Syverson with check-in.

The exhibit opens at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday March 4th with a presentation of awards to artists. The exhibit runs from March 4th thru March 18th when photos will need to be picked up by the artists. Volunteers to gallery sit include Dan Ryan, Laurie Lehmann, Barbara Stewart, Jan Alcalde and Pat Jennings.   Hours are noon to 5:30 p.m.

Presentations

Laurie used PowerPoint to explain a typical Adobe Lightroom workflow. Five steps in the process are: Capture, Import, Organize, Develop and Output. The workflow process will be posted to the club website.

Kathy Syverson led a discussion on how to improve photos submitted at the October club photo contest based on the comments made by the judges.  Zack and Kathy both brought photos with the judges’ comments for discussion of what could be done in the shooting and in post-processing to correct the photographs. Many club members disagreed with the judges’ comments.

Hints and Tips

None

Member Input/Q&A

Dan Ryan thought that a discussion of printed work vs. the Photo Display was more beneficial.  It was agreed that printed photos would be presented for comment in addition to the Photo Display. Dan Ryan, Laurie Lehmann, Bill Heiser, Art Ortiz, Noel Ortiz and Jan Alcalde agreed to bring one photo each for discussion at the February meeting.

Photo Opportunities

Jerry Woodward suggested that morning frost produced by the current cold weather was an excellent photo opportunity if one bundled up and got out early.

Indigeny was mentioned as one good location.

Next Meeting

Date: February 18, 2018

Presentation: Laurie Lehmann volunteered to research “Distortion”: how to correct and how to add to photographs.

Photo Theme: Sunrise/Sunset

Refreshments:  Barbara Stewart

Meeting Minutes 2017-11-19

These are the meeting minutes for the November 19, 2017 Sonora Photo Club meeting.

Photo Display

The “Shadow” theme photos were displayed from the website.  No printed photos were offered for display.  The display went well and the feeling was that this was a better option than using Flickr.

Financial Report

Although not at the meeting, Laurie did provide the information that the balance and number of members remained the same as last month.  Laurie will collect dues for 2018 at the Christmas party and in January.

Business

Zack presented the findings of the survey that he sent out on several issues.  He will make the survey results available to all but here are some decisions that were made at the meeting.

Christmas Party

Although only 11 of the 20 people responded yes to the party, some at the meeting indicated that they would attend if we had one.  Also, we would potentially have spouses attending, too.  We agreed that we will have the party.

WHEN: December 17 from 1:00 to 4:00

WHERE: The library meeting room

WHAT TO BRING: Given the smaller number of attendees, bring finger food – appetizers or desserts, drinks.

ALSO: Zack will create a slideshow to run during the party.  Upload your photos here to be included.  If you have more than 20, give them to him on a flash drive.

Education

We need people to volunteer to instruct in some the various topics.

Photo Contest

Many good ideas were offered for the next contest.  There was a huge list of possible categories.  Zack will send out another survey asking members to select the 3 or 4 that they prefer to help the committee narrow down some ideas.  

Club Roles for 2018

Zack also presented a list of positions that were open or already had a volunteer and asked people to fill in the spots that were empty.  The full list is:

  • President – Zack with Noel and Joel as backups when he can’t be there
  • Vice President – Bill Heiser
  • Secretary – Pat Jennings
  • Treasurer – Laurie Lehmann
  • Facilities Coordinator – Pat Jennings
  • Webmaster – Bill Heiser
  • Education – Steve Brooks
  • New Member Mentor – Zack
  • Display Coordinator – Noel with Zack’s assistance
Slideshow Presentations

Dan Childres, Bill Heiser and Joel Silverman presented their excellent slideshows.  

Zack offered the possibility of putting our slideshows on the web.  We discussed some of the issues including licensing for music, hosting the slideshows, bandwidth.  After discussion, it seemed most easily managed if we strip the music from the slideshow and select a host like YouTube or Vimeo.  The website would then have a link to those hosted videos.  To be discussed further.

We offered open positions for slideshows in 2018.  The following people have signed up:

MAY: Kathy Syverson, Laurie Lehmann, David Goldemberg and Nancy Conti

AUGUST: Dan Ryan, Art and Noel Ortiz – 1 space open

NOVEMBER: Jan Alcalde and Zack Levey – 2 open positions

Hints and Tips

Pat Jennings offered two videos on shooting snow and also handed out some Winter Photography Tips.

Zack offered to present a 45 minute video at some future meeting on critiquing a photo.  This has been requested and if there are people who are interested, it would be done in the 12:00 hour before the regular meeting.

Member Input/Q&A

A member asked how the judges felt about the judging, the categories, etc.  Following several comments from members, we agreed that we need to get the contest committee formed now so they can begin planning early as several feedback ideas suggested.  The committee includes:

  • Noel Ortiz
  • David Goldemberg
  • Jim Brown
  • Pat Jennings – will think about it
  • Nancy Conti – will think about it
Photo Opportunities
  • There is a Celebrate Yosemite & the Sierras competition with a deadline in a week.  See the email that Joel Silverman just sent out.
  • Railtown’s Polar Express begins the Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving.  It will also run Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for the first three weekends in December.  The train runs at 4:30, 6:00 and 7:30.
  • The InFocus Show will be accepting entries via Smarter Entry from November 30 through January 22.  See the website www.infocus-tcaa.org for details.
  • The Murphys parade and Art on Main is on Dec. 5.
  • The Sonora Christmas Parade is Friday, November 25.
Next Meeting

Date: January 21, 2018

Presentation: Laurie will do a Lightroom Workflow demo and Kathy Syverson will moderate a discussion of how to improve photos based on the contest judges comments.  Bring your photos and the judges’ scoring sheets if you wish to have your photos included in the discussion.

Photo Theme: Still Life

Refreshments:  Nancy Conti

What’s going on with Lightroom?

During a club meeting a few months back, I asked how many members use Adobe Lightroom, and as I recall, a majority raised their hands. Therefore, I thought it might be helpful to share some information about the recent Lightroom changes announced by Adobe, even though this isn’t “club news” per se. Judging from the various blogs and trade articles, there’s lots of confusion about the changes.

Today I noticed an article by well-known local pro photographer Michael Frye, and he explained it very well, so I’ll share the link to his article. Before sending you off to read his article, here’s my own simple summary:

  • Lightroom 6 (end of life):  The traditional pay-once, non-subscription version of Lightroom (known as “Lightroom 6” in its latest version) has been discontinued. It will continue to run indefinitely, but it won’t get any updates to support new features, bug fixes, new camera models, new computer operating systems (e.g. Windows or MacOS updates), etc.
  • Lightroom Classic CC (replacement for the former “Lightroom CC”):  If you currently use the Creative Cloud (subscription) version of Lightroom, known until last week as “Lightroom CC”, the new replacement for it is “Lightroom Classic CC”. It’s the same program, with a few new features, performance improvements, etc. Lightroom Classic CC is the subscription, desktop-based, full-featured LIghtroom we’re used to, but with a new name.
  • Lightroom CC:  A completely new version, now known as “Lightroom CC” is a whole new, strictly cloud-based, app. It currently offers a limited set of features (like you’d expect on a mobile app for example), although this is widely expected to change over time.

At the present time, most photographers who use Lightroom, want the latest full featured editing, & are willing to pay a subscription fee, will use Lightroom Classic CC. Other popular options include ON1’s Photo Raw (current version is Photo Raw 2017, and  a new 2018 public beta is available for adventure seekers), and Phase One’s Capture One Pro. There are a variety of others out there as well.

If you use Lightroom 6, are satisfied with its features, and don’t plan to upgrade anytime soon to one of the latest cameras, you may continue without upgrading.

Confused yet? Welcome to the circle of confusion (haha). Here’s the link to Michael Frye’s detailed explanation:  https://www.michaelfrye.com/2017/10/26/big-lightroom-news/

-Bill Heiser, Club VP & Webmaster